Late 2014 we were thrilled when Jason and Anisa from Sunset Coast Organics contacted us to produce organic seedlings for their certified organic production in Waiuku.
- Sunset Coast Organics are producers of high quality organic herbs and vegetables for restaurants and retailers, and their product is so tasty and rich-full of antioxidants.
- We quickly introduced new processes to meet AssureQuality Organics Certification Standards. This included setting up a controlled area in the nursery and adopting systems dedicated to the production of organic celery, lettuce, endive, kale, silver beet, a range of herbs and other vegetables.
- We implemented organic fertiliser and folia spray schedules - although we deal with the same kind of pests we were pleased to see the results from fully certified organic products.
- Our biggest challenge was achieving good germination rates on a couple of products, and investigating the seed and soil mix factors affecting production...although it was nerve racking at the time, we came through… and we learnt a lot.
- We are enjoying learning from our new friends at Sunset Coast Organics and we’re especially interested in how they partner with nature on their farm.
- We now have other clients requesting we propagate organic product for them and we are enjoying growing this area.